There are a number of ways to treat sinus pressure, however natural and home remedies for sinus pressure ease the symptoms and help speed up the recovery process.
The medical problem of sinus occurs when the soft pink tissue, mucous membrane-lined to the sinuses swell due to allergies, bacterial infections, and cold. Swelling and clogging leads to sinus pressure around the nose, cheeks, and above the eyes resulting in a headache, pain, and difficulty in breathing. In severe cases, chronic sinus can lead to health issues like brain fever or meningitis.
The Ayurvedic name of sinusitis is Pinas caused due to aggravated Prana Vata and Shleshaka Kapha Dosha. The Prana Vata dosha controls the brain, and Shleshaka Kapha is responsible for lubrication and moisture. The imbalanced Prana Vata and Shleshaka Kapha block the sinuses. Further, clogging impairs the Pitta dosha that causes irritation and inflammation of the tissues of the sinuses.
In addition to the changing weather and cold, Ayurveda views inactive lifestyle, irregular sleep patterns, and suppressing natural urges to vomit and tears as potential causes of sinus pressure. The Ayurvedic Sinusitis treatment involves expelling of the imbalanced energies, avoiding heavy foods, herbal treatments, and natural remedies for sinus pressure.
Some of the effective home remedies for sinus pressure
● Stay Hydrated: Keeping the body hydrated through the consumption of purified water, detox juices, herbal teas, etc. without sugar can bring immediate relief to the irritated sinuses. The hydration helps in thinning the mucus out. The intake of cold liquids, alcohol, smoking are a big no because they lead to dehydration and impede the cilia movement within the nose, making the flow of mucus through the nasal passage difficult.
● Inhale Medicated Steam: Inhaling medicated steam for 10-15 minutes helps in clearing congestion and phlegm that gets deeply deposited in the sinuses. In the boiling water, add 2-3 drops of eucalyptus oil, clove oil, and crushed mint leaves. Inhale the hot vapors to moisten sinuses.
● Spice It Up: Include anti-inflammatory and antibacterial spices like turmeric, cayenne pepper to relieve the sinus pressure and loosen the congested mucus from the nasal passage. Every night sip hot tea with a dash of turmeric and ginger root. These natural remedies for sinus pressure offer great relief and make you feel better instantly.
●Drink Steaming Hot Soup: According to several Ayurvedic experts, drinking hot soups helps to ease the congestion. Add fresh herbs and Ayurvedic spices to your soup to make it more healthy and tasty.
● Sip It Up: Drink Ayurvedic elixirs for treating sinuses. Fresh ginger juice with one teaspoon of honey and hot water or tea with raw apple cider vinegar help relieves excess mucus and sinus pressure.
In an attempt to answer how to get rid of sinus pressure effectively, we have listed out 5 Ayurvedic treatments and therapies:
● Nasya Karma: As an Ayurvedic treatment, Nasya Karma is potent in treating the problems associated with the head as the nasal is the gateway to the brain. In the treatment, the medicated oils are administered through the nostrils. Pradhmana (virechana) and Nasya is a specific type of Nasya Karma to release nasal congestion, cold, and heaviness of the head occurring due to sinusitis. As a part of the procedure, dry powder such as Brahmi is blown into the nose with the help of a tube.
● Neti Pot: Neti Pot is an Indian Ayurvedic technique for symptomatic relief and nasal mucociliary clearance. The method involves using a Neti Pot for pouring saline water in one nostril and allowing it to run out from another nostril flushing out dirt and bacteria.
● Oil Massages: Ayurvedic Oil massages are another effective way of treating the health problem of sinuses. As you lie prone for the oil massages, the gravitational pull helps in the natural release of sinus fluid and the massaging of oils assist in relaxation and drainage process. The compression also helps in relieving congestion.
●Lepanam: It is an Indian treatment for healing inflammatory conditions. A paste (Lepam) made from anti-inflammatory and analgesic liquids are applied to the affected areas for the nourishment of the tissues.
●Shirodhara: In Shirodhara, gentle pouring of liquids over the Aadnya chakra, the point of the forehead with the highest concentration of vital nerves. The rhythmic pouring of the liquids helps in healing sinusitis, anxiety, headaches, and more.
These Ayurvedic remedies and treatments aim to bring the Kapha and Vata dosha in balance, the chief cause of sinus pressure thus providing long-term relief to the patients of sinusitis