Some people quote the Heraclitus ~“The eyes are more exact witnesses than the ears.” For some, “eyes are the window to the soul.” Whatever may be your description of the eyes, at the basic, it is an incredible organ that bestows everyone with the power of vision.
Unfortunately, the illuminating sight, the eyes have to suffer a lot and are prone to deterioration of the vision or complete eyesight loss. Ayurvedically, the excess of heat (Pitta) or coldness (Kapha) in and around the eyes leads to Drishti Dosha.
Exercises, herbs, home remedies to improve eyesight are effective options for restoring the natural light of the eyes.
The natural remedies to improve eyesight include herbs. The information is given below:
1. Triphala: Triphala is an Ayurvedic herb containing the healing properties of three fruits: Amla, Haritaki and Bibhitaki. Each ingredient is a powerhouse of medicinal properties and the Triphala formulation balances the three doshas of the body. Triphala is cooling in Prakruti that helps reduce inflammation, redness and itchiness. You can make your own Triphala eyewash at home by following the procedure:
●Mix a half tablespoon of organic Triphala powder in boiling water.
● Allow the elixir to cool. Now, strain out the visible particles.
● Soak a towel in the mixture and apply it on your eyes for a cooling effect.
2. Ginkgo Biloba: As a natural antioxidant, the Ginkgo Biloba is considered healthy for eyes and is used for improving vision. Its antioxidant properties offer relief against oxidative stress that induces ocular damage and treats glaucoma thus improving vision.
3. Fennel Seeds and Almonds: Fennel seeds and almonds are important ingredients of Ayurvedic natural remedies to improve eyesight. Fennel seeds and almonds are packed with nutrients beneficial for eyesight.
● Mix and grind equal amounts of fennel seeds, almonds, and rock sugar.
● Add two tablespoon of the mixture in warm milk and drink it regularly on an empty stomach for better chances of improving vision.
4. Amla: Amla is a wondrous food regarded for its medicinal properties to improve vision. It is rich in nutrients and vitamin C which keeps retinal cells and capillaries healthy.
5. Bilberry: Savoring antioxidant rich and lush blue bilberries can prove to be a treat for the taste buds and eyes. The antioxidant properties of the bilberry strengthen blood vessels and increase retinal pigments that protect the vision.
Yoga for improving Vision:
● Sukhasana (Easy Pose): Sit in this posture with your legs crossed at the shins. Look in the front direction. Now, start to move your eyes gently in all the four directions, upward, downward, right way and left way. The movement of eyes enhances blood flow towards them that helps in improving vision.
● Bhujangasana (Cobra Pose): Lie on the floor with your stomach in close contact with the ground. Press the palms into a yoga mat and lift up your head and chest off the floor. Look in the upward direction. The pose improves blood circulation to the eyes that keeps eye defects at bay.
● Savasana (Corpse Pose): Lie on the earth in supine position. Close your eyes and relax your body parts. Stay in the corpse pose for 5 minutes and release. The corpse pose releases stress in your eyes and contributes towards a healthy vision.
● Seated Yogic Position and Palming: Sit in any cross-legged position like Lotus pose, Easy pose, etc. with palms on the knees. Now, bring them together and rub for 6-10 seconds. Place the heated palms on your eyes and breathe slowly. This yogic technique provides relaxation to the eyes.
Ingest Eye-Healthy Foods and Drinks:
● Certain food and drinks make for potent home remedies to improve eyesight. Stewed apples, sprouted chickpeas and raw carrot, all are the source of vitamin A. Vitamin A plays a crucial role in improving vision; therefore include all the three in abundance in your diet plan.
● Drink plenty of distilled water to hydrate yourself because internal dryness can affect your vision. Refrain from caffeinated drinks and coffee because they lead to toxicity and dryness.
● Take seeds of black cardamom and mix it with honey. Take this mixture daily to improve vision.
● Add almonds to your milk for strengthening the vision.
Ayurvedic Remedies for Dry and Tired Eyes:
● If you wake up with dry eyes, splash cold water on your face and eyes to refresh them. Splashing cold water on eyes is an Ayurvedic technique of keeping them clean and fresh.
● Tarpana is an Ayurvedic treatment for treating the diseases of the retina or optic nerve. Black gram dough is made around the eye and clarified butter (Ghee) is poured in the dam. The ghee is then allowed to be soaked by the eye.
● Nasya treatment is carried out to cleanse the organs of eye, nose, throat, and ears. The technique is useful for treating watery, dry, itching eyes. Conjunctivitis and Glaucoma conditions can also be treated with this treatment.
Guard the mirror of the soul, ‘Eyes’ naturally with home remedies to improve eyesight.