Whether it’s mild or chronic, anyone who experiences neck pain truly understands how this small spine area can affect the whole being, from head to toe. Pain in the neck can stem from diverse conditions like neck strain, stress, pinched nerve, herniated disk, neck injury and degenerative disk diseases. Several individuals may experience neck pain and stiffness due to virus infection of the throat leading to swelling of lymph node and neck pain, tuberculosis, meningitis accompanied by neck stiffness and many more reasons.
Generally, neck pain isn’t a serious condition, but in certain cases it can be severe, demanding immediate attention and care. Of all the sciences available with mankind to treat the condition of neck pain, the science of Ayurveda is natural and addresses the underlying cause thus providing far-reaching results and relief.
According to the science of Ayurveda, imbalanced Vata Dosha leads to the degeneration of neck tissues and inflames the neck pain. The discipline of Ayurveda suggests home remedies for neck pain and treatments to balance the Vata Dosha.
Take a look at the herbs, diet, lifestyle, and natural remedies for neck pain in the upcoming section:
Ayurveda Detoxification Treatments for balancing the Vata Dosha, expelling the impurities, and opening & softening the channels of circulation
● Abhyanga: Abhyanga should be resorted to daily. It wards of exertion and aggravation of Vata ~ Astanga Hrdayam: Sutrasthana: II: 8- 9. If you are suffering from neck pain, Abhyanga is the best treatment to undergo. In this, your body will be massaged with Vata pacifying oils that penetrate deep into the layers of the tissues thus removing fatigue and balancing the Vata Dosha.
● Virechana: Virechana is the second Panchakarma treatment and also regarded ideal natural remedies for neck pain. As a purgation therapy, Virechana expels out congestion and heat through anal passage thereby harmonizing the Vata Dosha. When the Vata is balanced, you feel fewer pains in the neck.
● Greeva Vasti: This is one of the popular Ayurvedic treatments of neck pain and accompanying problems. The Greeva Vasti procedure involves the construction of black flour gram on the nape of the neck (covering the cervical region) in which the medicated oils are poured and retained for a fixed duration of time. Compliment the Greeva Vasti with the procedures of Abhyanga, Nasya, Pinda Sweda to effectively treat the painful neck conditions of cervical spondylosis.
● Pinda Swedam: Shashtika Shali Pinda Sweda is a form of sweat-inducing massage therapy. Milk and rice are the main ingredients used to strengthen and rejuvenate the muscle and tissues of the neck. Milk and a special type of rice are infused with medicine and are tied in a potli (small pouch), which is applied over the affected area. The healing properties of the used ingredients provide unparalleled relief from stiffness and pain.
Ayurvedic Home Remedies:
Two to Three effective and easy home remedies for relieving excruciating neck pain:
● Castor Oil possesses anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties helpful in healing and treating the health conditions. Make use of castor oil as home remedies for neck ache. Before going to sleep, take one tablespoon of castor oil for eliminating toxins and balancing Vata Dosha.
● Mix cloves, garlic, and heated ajwain in warm mustard oil and massage your neck with it. After that, perform hot fomentation with salt potli for immediate relief. As one of the home remedies for neck pain, this is easy to perform and effective.
● Ingest cloves of garlic either in raw form or mixed in a glass of milk or bowl of vegetable for relief from nagging neck pain. Gently massage the affected area with the oil containing garlic for comfort.
3 Herbs for maintaining the health of neck joints, muscles, and overall well-being:
● Shallaki: The herb from the Himalayas supporting the prevention of joint wear, inflammation, muscular pain and arthritic pain. The presence of Boswellic acid eases joint inflammation and analgesic properties alleviate arthritic pain. It is an all natural way to ease the cervical spondylosis.
● Guggulu: Guggulu is the gum resin of a Mukul plant and the highly preserved Ayurveda herb for treating neck pain. The resin prepared from the sap of the Guggulu tree offers benefits for the joints, digestive Agni and osteoarthritic pain.
● Ginger: Ginger is one of the easiest and effective home remedies for neck ache because it is easily available. Ginger is excellent in pacifying Vata and inflammation. For the patients of cervical spondylosis, Ginger is an important analgesic.
● Ashwagandha: Ashwagandha keeps stress at bay, relaxes muscles and improves bone density thus reversing the effects of neck pain and acting as one of the best natural remedies for neck pain.
In addition to these home remedies, pay close attention to your lifestyle and diet patterns for holistic healing of neck pain.