We all probably spend much of the day in forwarding moments and life following an inactive routine. Couple the sedentary lifestyle with trauma, accidents, improper lifting, psychological conditions, etc. and, that is how you develop back pain. With negligence and untimely care, the mild backache transforms into chronic conditions osteoarthritis, herniated disk, degenerative disk disease, spinal problems and lots more.
Adherence to daily yoga practices, maintaining ideal body weight, sitting and standing with proper posture can provide great relief from excruciating back pain. However, the science of Ayurveda contains natural remedies for back pain and treatments that have been in use for years promising effective results.
The discipline of Ayurveda aims to heal the chronic pain as well as soothe the underlying cause with home remedies for back pain, herbs and lifestyle.
All-Natural Treatments for Back ache:
● Dhanyamla Dhara: It is a special Ayurveda treatment for treating the Vata dosha disorders like back pain and inflammatory diseases. The procedure involves the pouring of fermented oils obtained from medicinal plants and cereals. The stream is poured for a fixed duration of time and over the patient’s body. The hot stream when poured induces sweat resulting in detoxification of the body from ama and stress.
● Abhyanga Massage: Abhyanga is the basic and effective natural remedies for back pain. It involves the use of herbal oils, gentle hand movements and pressures to massage the tissues. The massage opens the blocked channels and nourishes the tissues that help in correcting the underlying reason for a backache.
● Kativasthi: The term Kativasti comes from a Sanskrit word ‘Kati’ meaning ‘waist.’ A wheat dough bag is made and placed on the back, where the pain can be felt. Then, the dough is filled with warm and thick medicated oils, which is left for 30-40 minutes. The herbal oil deeply exudes in ligaments, muscles, tissues and tendons to release the stiffness, pain and inflammation. This remedy is also great for improving the flexibility of the back muscles.
● Pizhichil: Pizhichil: Pizhichil is a beautiful combination of two ancient Ayurvedic treatments, Snehana (oilation) and Swedana (sedation). Lukewarm herbal oil is applied on the back from a muslin cloth dipped in oil for about 60 minutes. The Pizhichil is avowed for relieving pains and curing arthritis.
● Vashti: According to the science of Ayurveda, poor digestion is one of the causes of a backache. Ayurveda suggests Vasti as one of the home remedies for a backache. The Vashti treatment is used to liquefy the ama stored in colon and intestine. This Ayurvedic treatment cures pain by eliminating toxins from the body. Kashaya Vasti (Decoction enema) is the treatment for relieving chronic and acute backache, prolapsed disk, spondylitis and osteoporosis.
Ayurvedic Herbs for Back Pain
● Turmeric and Ginger: Turmeric and Ginger are pain a fighting duo. They both are rhizomes used as herbal medicines to treat health problems, including a backache. Both these herbs contain properties that reduce inflammation. Turmeric and Ginger can be easily incorporated into your daily diet pattern. Drink a glass of warm milk with a pinch of turmeric at night to soothe the pain. Ginger can be taken in the form of salad or can be used as an ingredient to cook vegetables.
● Spikenard (Jatamansi): Herbs like Jatamansi, Chamomile, passion flowers, skullcap, etc. help combat tension-related pain. These herbs are associated with relaxing and calming attributes thus easing the tension and resulting pain in the back and body.
● Ginseng: It is a root plant rich in antioxidants that reduces inflammation. It can be easily consumed in a number of ways. Intake it in raw form or add fresh sliced Ginseng to your cup of tea. It is also available in the form of powder and tablets. In its every form, it is potent in lessening the pain.
Potent Home Remedies for A Back Ache
● Tie uncooked rice in a soft cloth and make a potli. Heat the potli bag on a temperature that is bearable and apply the bag on the affected area for relief.
● Ice-packs can be applied to the inflamed area to numb the pain.
● Take hot baths to ease the pain. Sprinkle a few drops of rosemary and peppermint oil in the water. Rosemary and thyme oil increases blood flow and creates warmth. The peppermint and myrtle oil have painkilling qualities.
● Practice Gentle yoga asanas like Corpse Pose (Savasana) for relaxation and reducing muscle spasm. Mild stretching yoga postures help in releasing the accumulated toxins, increases blood flow and stabilizes the lymph system that builds resistance against pain.
Say goodbye to years of crucial and debilitating back pain with the Ayurveda and herbal remedies.