Ayurveda is a traditional medicinal science that originated in India. Today, Ayurveda is practiced worldwide due to its healing powers.
The concept of Doshas is central to the wisdom of Ayurveda. Vata, Pitta and Kapha are the three body humors representing the elements of air, fire and water respectively. The imbalance between these three doshas results in health problems.
Hemorrhoids (Piles) are swollen veins in and around the anus and rectum. Some common symptoms of piles include:
● Itching around the anus
● Painful lump near the anus
● Experience of pain during bowel movements
● Bleeding from the anus before and after bowel movements
● Intense irritation and pain around the anus
In Ayurveda, your dosha determines the characteristic of hemorrhoids you may be experiencing.
● If you are a hemorrhoids patient with Pitta dosha, you may experience inflamed and bleeding piles. Also, you may experience fever and diarrhea.
● For Vata dominant, symptoms include high level of pain with black and hard texture hemorrhoids. Constipation is also experienced by Vata people.
● People with Kapha have poor digestion and hemorrhoids that are large in size and white in color.
Ayurvedic Home Remedies for Piles:
The science of Ayurveda offers a holistic approach to hemorrhoids. Herbs for piles, treatments and home remedies for piles are a part of Ayurveda healing of hemorrhoids.
1. Triphala Powder: Constipation can be the underlying cause of your hemorrhoid disease. Triphala powder contains the healing of three herbs (Amalaki, Bibhitaki, and Haritaki) that treat constipation and help prevent the development of pile symptoms. Take four grams of Triphala powder in hot water every night and see the magic.
2. Castor Oil: Castor Oil is a storehouse of properties like anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal. With all these properties, castor oil is potent in decreasing pain, inflammation and the size of piles. If you have an internal type of piles, then mix 3ml of castor oil in hot milk. For external type, you can apply castor oil with soft hands on the affected area.
3. Asafoetida (Heeng): Asafoetida is an Indian herb for aiding digestion and relieving piles. You can include heeng as a spice in your vegetables or can consume it with a glass of water.
4. Garlic: This herb with a pungent smell is effective in reducing bleeding from piles as well as the growth of bleeding piles.
5. Carrots: Carrots in raw or cooked form are potent in reducing bleeding from piles. Both carrot and garlic herbs for piles are easily available.
Home Remedies for Piles:
● Avoid Heavy Foods: Our faulty dietary patterns often make us succumb to health issues, the hemorrhoid being one of them. Eating heavy foods trigger constipation. Also, avoid foods that have too much fiber because it has bulk formation capacities and laxatives because it causes loose stools. In both cases, discomfort can be experienced. Additionally, it is recommended for piles patients to refrain from fried food and spicy delicacies because they cause extreme pain and irritation.
● Drink Plenty of Water: An increase in the intake of water is simple home remedies for piles. Drinking a good amount of water helps in healthy bowel movement and ensures a smooth digestive function.
● Eat Salads: Eat a bowl of fresh salads every day that includes the following: cucumber, carrots and other green vegetables. Carrots have vitamin C and K known to enhance vein health.
Ayurveda Treatments for Piles:
● Kshara: In this treatment, an herbal paste that is alkaline and has a cauterizing action is applied to manage hemorrhoids. Kshara is applied to hemorrhoids using a special device known as slit proctoscope. The paste chemically burns hemorrhoid, which is open and bleeding.
● Sastra Chikitsa: Kshara Sutra is an Ayurvedic therapy where a medicated thread is used to tie a hemorrhoid off a base. The tying action cuts off the blood supply to the vein thus allowing hemorrhoid to shrink. This is a dosha based treatment and involves the usage of herbs to support the healing. Consulting an experienced Ayurvedic practitioner is recommended.
● Cauterization: If you have external hemorrhoid, cauterization treatment can be used to heal it. In this, Ayurvedic doctor burns off hemorrhoid. This procedure induces pain.
Benefits of Ayurvedic Treatments:
● Most of the Ayurvedic treatments are non-invasive
● They can be performed in less time
● A patient can return to work the next day
Useful Tips for Healing
● Keep the anal area clean. Don’t use soap as it can be harsh
● Soak the anal area in hot water regularly
● Gently dry the anal area with hair dryer or wipes that are not scented.
● Apply ice packs for relieving swelling.
Treat hemorrhoid in a non-invasive way with Ayurveda and home remedies for piles. Go natural and painless.